Wednesday 27 July 2011

Race For Life

I’m not going to lie to you. This week I am feeling rather smug. Why, you may ask? Well, on Saturday I did the Race For Life. And not the 5km version either. Oh no. I well and truly jumped in at the deep end and went for the 10km.
It was my mate who talked me into it. I was quite happily about to sign up for the 5k version when she convinced me otherwise.
“10k just says a bit more don’t you think? And you can already do 5k.” She argued. And, before I had time to think it through, we had both signed up. Within twenty minutes I was already regretting it, but it was too late. There was no turning back.
That was about eight weeks ago. Since then I have been getting up at 6.30am on a regular basis to meet my partner in crime for a training session in Finsbury Park, the lyrics of Blur’s Parklife running through my head. It hasn’t been easy, but we kept at it, and on Saturday we joined about 1,500 other women and set off.
My target was to finish the course without stopping. It was tricky (especially the last up-hill bit) but I did it. And I did it in one hour, six minutes and twenty seconds, a time that some may sniff at but I am immensely proud of. I also managed to raise over £500 for Cancer Research, which amazes me. Donations of mainly £5-£10 have added up and everyone’s generosity has been incredible.
I have to admit, this week has been a bit of an anti-climax. All that hard work paid off, but... well, what next? A half marathon? The London to Brighton Bike Ride (after a bit more cycling practise)? The Moonwalk? I don’t know. But I think I may have caught the bug. I need a new challenge, a new goal. And, let’s face it, a new reason to get off by backside and do some exercise. However, for now I am just going to bask in the glory of my latest achievement. There is always next year for my next sporting fundraiser.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I am going to make myself a hot chocolate and go to bed. Because tomorrow I am going my first run since the big day. You know, for old time’s sake. Feel free to come along and join in. You never know, you might catch the bug too...

No comments:

Post a Comment