Sunday 7 February 2010

Acting Up

Last week I went to see Cat on a Hot Tin Roof with Him Indoors. I’d been lucky enough to get half price tickets (see January Sales blog) and managed to persuade Him Indoors to come along as Darth Vader man James Earl Jones was playing Big Daddy. I was a little nervous in case it turned out he didn’t like Tennessee Williams and moaned all the way home, but to my delight he really enjoyed it. I now have the challenge of finding a production of Streetcar Named Desire starring another member of the Star Wars cast. I will see what I can do.
I too really enjoyed the show. I’ve seen the play before and thought that this was a much better production. But, alas, I cannot say that the night did not go without an example of human ignorance.
Okay, so I imagine a vast majority of the audience got cheap tickets. But that does not take away the fact that a group of people are stood on that stage in the West End performing live. I thank them for their labours and have the deepest respect for their craft. It would seem, however, that not everyone thinks the same.
Point number one. When the music gets suddenly louder and the lights go down, this is your cue that the performance is about to start. This means shut up. It also means that if you are not already in your seats, get in them damn quickly so you don’t disturb the rest of the audience once the performance has started.
Point number two. During the performance, stay quiet. That means turn your mobile phone off – yes, really! And no, don’t just put it on silent, as when you check it during the performance your little blinking screen can be quite distracting to the people sat near you. And if you really need to eat sweets, for God’s sake go for a variety in a box rather than a rustley bag that are not individually wrapped.
Point number three. Once the performance has finished, do not get up to leave whilst the cast are taking their bow. This is not the cinema. These are not credits rolling. The actors are stood right there in front of you after performing a play that is about two and a half hours long! In short; don’t you think that it just a tad rude?
Okay. I think I have made my point. Just remember that actors, singers and musicians who perform live work bloody hard to make their performance as flawless as possible. If you can’t be bothered to show them just a little courtesy and appreciation, I suggest you just stay at home and switch on your telly. That way no-one will be offended whilst you gas on the phone and chomp though a box of Quality Street during the show. And you won’t be disturbing the rest of the audience whilst you’re at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment